Walking with the Alligators

Walking with the Alligators
A Florida Alligator

June 10, 2011

My First Black Bear

Today for the first time in my life,  I saw a Black Bear.
I was on my way into town from our house in the Ocala Forest and it was just sort of sitting in the middle of the road, gasp.
I stopped my car and we looked at each other for a bit.
I am quite sure that I was not breathing.
Then it ambled back in the woods as I talked to it.
It was not very old, probably a teenager.
Its coat was so black and shiny, like it had just been bathed and polished up for a photograph.
It was so beautiful, so unexpected, it was hard to stay quiet.
What came to mind as it looked into my eyes was this:
How on Earth could anyone ever, ever shoot this gift to us?
He/she is not aware that it has just been taken off of the Threatened Species List and very soon, humans will come start coming in great numbers to blow its brains out, so that they can hang its head on a wall as a trophy, or proof of their great hunting skills.
And just who is truly the animal here?

No comments:

Post a Comment