Walking with the Alligators

Walking with the Alligators
A Florida Alligator

May 15, 2012

The Timucuan People

The Native People who once lived in Florida are not
an Endangered Species, they are today mostly
A Timucuan Village
A Timucuan Village
considered to be extinct. 
Before the invasion of this place now called Florida
hundreds of years ago, there were many Tribes
of Native People all over this state.
One of those Tribes was the Timucuans
and they once lived where I do now.
Sometimes when I look out in the early morning when it is still and
there are no noises to interrupt, I think of them and wonder how they lived
and what this place called the Ocala Forest must have meant to them.
We moved here in 2004 and the most important factor in choosing this
particular place, was the lack of humans and abundance of wildlife here.
Did they choose it for the same reasons?
I am sure that they must have loved it here just as much as we do and probably
for the very same reasons.
I wish I could have met you, there are so many questions.
There are a multitude of web sites to learn more about them, this is only one:

No comments:

Post a Comment