Walking with the Alligators

Walking with the Alligators
A Florida Alligator

May 5, 2013

Happy Hunting, Not!

 
 
A Beautiful Florida Black Bear

I am fully aware that many will disagree with my stance on this, but please hear me out.
Today all of the details were released for the next  Alligator Hunting Season here in Florida.
There seem to be so many "killing seasons" here now, it is hard to keep up.
My greatest fear is that our gorgeous Florida Black Bear may be next, as hunters are already chomping at the bit to get this passed.
I have recently, personally spoken to a "head person" who "assures" me that this will not happen.
Now, ask me if I trust "anyone" about this.
I came here to Florida as you know, after living in Southern California for over 30 years, where sadly, there are not really too many wild things left.
So, coming here and seeing them everywhere, is just such an overwhelming joy, that I would hate to see Florida become practically barren of wildlife, like Southern California has.
I grew up in Indiana and spent many happy summers on my uncles farm in the hills of southern Indiana, which was for me, a little city girl, a wild paradise to run through all day until I dropped.
I loved it with all of my heart and never wanted to leave.
So, I am truly not just another angry "city person" complaining about hunters and hunting.
This is what bothers me about hunting.
Where we live now, is many miles from the nearest anything, so we must drive a bit, to get to civilization, as it were.
Now, during any of the many "hunting seasons," we are forced to go past many VERY unpleasant sites.
No, I will not go into any of the grisly details.
The people who live out here on the fringes of civilization are "different" to say the least, from most other Florida residents.
They seem to be in a world all of their own.
Things happen out here, ugly, terrible things, that are not legal, but no one ever gets caught, so it continues to happen.
My question is, why do people still need to hunt, maim, kill?
Is it a primordial need?
There are so many animals in Africa who are being slaughtered for their body parts.
I know that I am in a very tiny minority and will take great punishment for this, but why do we need to continue to kill animals as if their lives mean nothing?
As a species, after so many millions of years, shouldn't we have by now, evolved to a place where we at least might show more respect to our fellow animals?
I truly do not believe that humans were put on Mother Earth to do so much harm to wild creatures and feel nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Too many of the wonderful animals are being killed. The animals are all part of the circle of life. There would be balance in the wildlife had man not started taking charge of them and taking away their habitats. When the animals are gone the people will be no more. All animals have a purpose as I believe all people do, but it is not to destroy each other. This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete