Walking with the Alligators

Walking with the Alligators
A Florida Alligator

December 4, 2013

Zirafa

611px-One_day_old_giraffe_with_mother_-Birmingham_Zoo
Willow, a one day old baby Giraffe with its mother.
Picture credit: Ralph Daily


I had no intention of writing today, but coming upon this story and the petition that accompanied it, changed that in a heartbeat.
For as long as I can remember, the Giraffe has been the object of my affection and admiration.
There is something so regal, so fragile, so graceful, so endearing about them, how could you not love them.
In my lifetime, I have, with little shame,  amassed a collection of  Giraffes in every form,  all manner of clothing, toys for my children and my dogs of course, stationary, Christmas cards, birthday cakes, Giraffes made of  paper,  wood, copper, bisque, brass, you name it,  if it is a Giraffe anything,  I have it.
In my defense, many of the above were gifts, as my love of this animal was well-known.
But apparently, not everyone loves or cherishes this gentle giant.
What was learned about sadly today, is that there are apparently many places all over Africa right now,  that quite cheerfully advertise  ” Giraffe Trophy Hunting “ for a very hefty price, of course.
My reaction today was/is so over the top because I had no idea that people hunted them.
I can barely speak the words, Trophy Hunting Giraffes.
Please find below, the petition and story for you to reply to,  respond to, and react to, in the manner you see fit~
If you read some of the websites advertising their participation in  this atrocity,  they frequently use words like ethical and impeccable in their  ” Hunting Adventure ”  descriptions.
What!
What on this Earth is ethical about killing a Giraffe with a bow and arrow?

Here are two of the many Hunting sites:
Hunting Giraffe In South Africa
South Africa Giraffe Hunts 

Outrage is really not quite a strong enough word for the depth of my anger at these atrocious acts,  these abominable  behaviors.
There simply are no words.
Please do sign the petition if you are of like thinking.

Thank you as always, for your continuing love of animals~
This is the story:    The Giraffe Hunters
This is the petition:   Stop Trophy Hunting Giraffe

No comments:

Post a Comment